The FTC announced today that it will hold a joint workshop on June 28, 2017 with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to “examine the consumer privacy and security issues posed by automated and connected motor vehicles.” The announcement lists several discussion topics for the upcoming workshop:
- the types of data vehicles with wireless interfaces collect, store, transmit, and share;
- potential benefits and challenges posed by such data collection;
- the privacy and security practices of vehicle manufacturers;
- the role of the FTC, NHTSA, and other government agencies with regard to these issues; and
- potentially applicable self-regulatory standards.
The FTC and NHTSA are inviting public comments on these topics, which are due on April 20, 2017. Further details are available in the Commission’s public notice on the workshop.