On July 13, 2023 the White House issued the National Cybersecurity Strategy Implementation Plan (“NCSIP”). The NCSIP identifies 65 initiatives – to be led by 18 different departments and agencies – that are designed as a roadmap for implementing the U.S. National Cybersecurity Strategy released earlier this year. This is the first iteration of the plan, which is intended to be an evolving document that the Administration plans to update annually. Consistent with the Strategy, the NCSIP contemplates five broad lines of effort (“pillars”):
- Defending critical infrastructure;
- Disrupting and dismantling threat actors;
- Shaping market forces to drive security and resilience;
- Investing in a resilient future; and
- Forging international partnerships to pursue shared goals.
Among the many initiatives, the Administration has outlined several specific efforts over the next three years that will be of interest to technology companies, federal contractors, and critical infrastructure owners and operators.